18 Dec 2012

HeapMau5

WIP 3D head after using 'scrumple' script
The next few weeks I'm going to be working on a section of the new Deadmau5 and Imogen Heap video for Telemiscommunications.  The video is going to be comprised of 20 sections by different animators, and I was chosen to contribute, which is awesome. This is a great oppurtunity and I'm really excited to be apart of such a big project. It will be cool to see how the whole thing is going to fit together.

I've started work on a some concepts.  I want to go in quite an experimental direction with it, similar-ish to my uni innovations project.  I want the movement to feel almost stop-motion like, animated at 12fps and not smooth and finessed.  This fits the brief for the project of a lonely businessman in an airport.  I have also written a python script that adds imperfection to 3D models, giving a kind of 2D hand-drawn feel to the piece (see above image).  It goes through each object selected and offsets each vertex a tiny bit for whatever time frame you choose. Obviously it's only really useful for low-poly models (or Maya will likely crash out), but the animation can be cycled so its not too heavy for non-smoothed meshes. You can do cool things with it, like increasing the offset to create a kind of scrunched up paper look. I am quite happy with the result, and when I pimp it out with nice GUI I'll stick it online to download.

I'll upload more progress as it happens. Peace out.


No comments:

Post a Comment